Thursday 18 August 2011

Tu Päälle - Come over me

Today my thoughts have been turning to a possible performance to camera. It uses a lot of mirrors to indirectly video myself having a staring contest with a mirror but indirectly with the camera as well.




I also found a sign that I liked. It reminded me of an old project Tengo las ampollas muy grandes,2006-2008, which I made after walking the Santiago de Compostela. It got me thinking of words and light and thoughts, memories and experiences how they are individualistic and biased. Today it rained: Today is dim.



Almost a week now since we arrived and I have no idea where the time goes. I keep forgetting the day and as long as we manage to get back to Helsinki by the 24th I'm not too bothered. In fact I can feel my body slowly relaxing, unwinding and getting prepared to make some new work.
I am hoping to get a pet project finished while here. It's an old chair from the 40's which my grandfather had in his student flat. It has now been stripped; it was filled with hay and wood shavings, I am amazed it hadn't caught fire in the last 60 odd years. I unscrewed all the legs, or really sawed off the metal bits as they had rusted after so many years of non use. The legs have now been sanded down and re-moistened with some olive oil and hopefully will be ready to attach once the chair has been stuffed and reupholstered. On the same topic I’ve decided to have a go at embroidery. Not my strong suit but I've decided that as long as I enjoy it, it will have been a success.








A few days ago we went to a random art exhibit at Louhitalo called ART TODAY – TÄMÄN PÄIVÄN TAIDE 2011. I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality. Although they did not have the best possible equipment to showcase the work
the actual space and the exhibition was well balanced and thoroughly enjoyable. There were quite a few performance to camera pieces of interest my personal favourites being Karolina Kucia's performance and animation Mesmeralda Marianotavirgin and Hyun Joo Min's Korea -Suomi, Korea – Finland (Olen Suomalainen). There was also a wooden sculpture called Boy (please touch) by Jason Burton, which I must admit to enjoying the touch of.
Next I will strat to properly attack my proposal for a grant as it must get done before next Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment